Wednesday 8 January 2014

I'm a Grown Up!

It doesn't take much to feel accomplished; a coffee in hand, walking home with 2 bagfuls of groceries, organising a trip on your own, having your shoes heeled.

And, when you find that special something that takes you - if only momentarily - through to adulthood, suddenly self-consciousness disappears.  You become a good version of yourself; smiling with head held high.

It's weird, how something as simple as putting your signature at the bottom of a piece of paper can make you feel accomplished. 



The concept of signing a contract; after you've scribbled your name, suddenly becomes more grave. But the act of holding the pen and writing can change you. It's bizarre. Like I could write my initials on a piece of toilet paper and sending it hurtling down the loo and I might have, unknowingly, signed myself up for some secret agreement with sewage maintenance.

That wouldn't make me feel proud. I wouldn't hold my head high.

But suddenly if you change the loo roll for crisp A4 with printed lettering and ominous words, it seems more significant.

I guess, in the adult mind, we don't believe that there are men on the receiving end of your toilet, like we are able to as a child.

I, reckon I'm still a child. A big one. But nevertheless, signing my first house contract gave me a sense of achievement. I have entered an adult world I didn't really need to be in.

So now, to add to my collection of names; lean, marsha, mash (my parents' choices), unemployed, child and student ... I can now add 'tenant'.

Laura; the tenant.



No comments:

Post a Comment