Sunday 12 January 2014

Excuse me?!

The world, as we know it, is a beautiful place with beautiful places; the New Forest, Bali, Niagara Falls. It's full of unexplained occurrences and in a atmosphere that stretches to lengths unknown. And you'll find people; helpful, caring, generous. On some days of, particularly, high spirits, it is hard to fault our earth.

That is, until we become aware of awards like this:


The World's Ugliest Woman. What kind of disgusting world is this?!

When I saw this video posted on Facebook about Lizzie Valesquez, I was absolutely shocked. For one, she's most definitely not even ugly!

But immediately, after I'd thought that, I stepped back. 

Woah! Woah! Woah!

Why did I have a right to decide if anyone was ugly? If I was saying that Lizzie, I must have a concept of ugly and beautiful. There must be a pattern in my mind; a template or checklist, that needs to be fulfilled. Why was I even thinking like this? How could I, even if I didn't voice my opinions, have this schematic selection of a person based on looks. 

And, I guess, for all of us, it's the same. 

One of the things I like about the world is that (I believe) everyone has a soulmate. Someone who we're searching for. No one doesn't have one. If you never get married but you do want to, that's not a sign that you're not loved. It's just that you haven't been in the right place, at the right time. And so, when we find our soulmates, we realise that everyone has different perceptions of beautiful. 

I'm not going to be the only one to say (and I know this sounds awfully crude and horrible) that I've sometimes passed couples and thought;

He/ she's going out with them? 

And then I've quickly reverted back to my philosophy; everyone has different concepts of beautiful. 

And it's horrible! It's horrible that I can't help myself thinking these thoughts! But, with the reinforcement of the mantra; 'beauty is only skin deep', hopefully there will be a time where none of that superficial judgement will reside within me. 

It is for this reason, that I have a big aversion to beauty contests. I'll glance at the picture but will look no further into it. 

Miss Universe - how condescending! The woman who wins this title is meant to be the most beautiful lady in the whole world!! But, first of all, not everyone is going to find her attractive! It's just an affirmation of the image of the body that judges on the panel think we should all be aiming for. Thigh gaps, wavy brunette hair, pearly ocean white teeth. 

But what's even more aggravating is that the most beautiful woman in the world (if there is such a thing) may not have even entered the competition! She might be at home, with children to look after, a job, a voluntary placement. Maybe she doesn't have time to enter. And so, for all the money and publicity spent on the event, the winner might not even be the winner. 

Beauty is such a problem in the world! I often like to think, if we were given a separate sense that would aid our navigation - like super sensitive noses and hands that translated our designs into buildings - the world would be better off blind. 

For all the stick and horrible torture that Lizzie suffered from cyber bullies who put her name and face to the world's ugliest caption, she has come out strong. She has been able to reach out to people and educate them about beauty. She is a true inspiration to all.

I've just attached this video below if you're interested in finding out more about Lizzie. This is the video that I watched when I first heard about Lizzie.

Please enjoy and take on the words of wisdom that she has to offer :D 





No comments:

Post a Comment