Monday 13 January 2014

Day at the Zoo

For as long as I've known, I've been in love with animals and until year 11 I had set my mind on becoming a zoo keeper. So I really can't resist opportunities that let me go to the zoo or the farm.

Like today! :D

When my nan asked what I'd like to do; a toss up between a walk and visiting Amazon World Zoo Park which was, eventually, decided for by the rain, we ended up being the only 2 in the park.

There are very few things I like to do more than spend time with animals and so this afternoon was a real treat.
I tend to go for monkeys. Since my favourite animal is the Orang-utan, primates seem to float my boat!



Yet this trip was surprising and completed by the emergence of 2 Canadian otters. We had been waiting for the ocelot feed but, instead, had been lured by a sleepy face poking out through the hay in the neighbouring cage. The small female gave a yawn, scrutinising our faces, and then stole back the warmth of her hut. But eventually as her mate; a much larger and evermore curious male - who we later found to be named; Fingle - limped out she was tempted to make her debut. 


Fingle, detaching himself from Maple (the female) walked over to a corner and began eating a form of liquid that left a mustard rim under his nose. 

Peanut butter.


The pair wasted no time in fooling around in the (what-must-have-been) freezing water. They were Canadian and so I assumed they could handle it, but still the thought made me shiver. They dipping in, lacing around one another and then taking it in turns to attack the polystyrene 'rocks' of their cage.

They were so fluffy and adorably cute - a rather simplified and childish description. But they were absolutely gorgeous!! So I think I've found my new love and, yet another, obsession: Otters!

No comments:

Post a Comment