Sunday 11 May 2014

Sparks to Flames

To say that I was apprehensive about seeing a good friend of mine play a gig with his band would be, not only, rude but wholly and entirely untrue. The thought of it was so exciting and novel! :D

The word 'Flashfires' a few months ago would have drawn images of Australia. Of wild fires, destruction and fear. But now I've come to realise it as a synonym of musical expression, passion and sheer, sheer talent.




I'd heard Flashfires new single on the day of it's release anticipating that it would be good, but perhaps not as good and professional as it turned out. On the 5th May I searched for 'Circus Boy' (their debut single) on Spotify! To be truthful, I'm addicted to Spotify. How practically every song recorded is all in the same place baffles me more than it should. And so, when I found Flashfires there was this sense that the band was already going places. One does not simply just appear on Spotify! 

I'd heard their single multiple times and on repeat a few moments before I was to leave the flat and off to my first ever Flashfires gig! 

The venue was only small and, as of 8pm, not yet full with sweaty men and women in leather jackets and dressed to the nines in black. The boys seemed rather relaxed and it was so nice to get to know them on a personal level as people before musicians. 

But it wasn't long (since I arrived late! - surprise, surprise) that they were off; earplugs in, guitars tuned and (for Fraser) glasses on.




I hadn't heard any of their material before. But on the basis of 'Circus Boy', if their music was anything like that single, it was going to be a good night. 

And it was! Their set was bloody fantastic!! Absolutely amazing and I couldn't believe it. I had a clear idea that they were going to be good but as good as they were? I couldn't imagine! 

And I was amazed; not only by their musical talent but by the fact that they were so incredibly modest for the amount of talent that they had. I would be raving about it to everyone if it was me. But the band seemed content with what they had. Nevertheless, I just couldn't help wondering why everyone isn't on Flashfires??!! Why aren't there millions of repeated mouse clicks on the tune on Spotify? Or repeated downloads on iTunes? They're fantastic! And the energy of lead singer: Alex Gonzato, is unprecedented!! 

Now let's just stay with him for a minute. Of course, what comes with hanging around with a group of your best friends for over 4 years is a whole host of jokes that can't be explained to the 'outside' world and a few nicknames which can be explained to practically anyone. For Alex, his nickname: Gonzo, was simply a contraction of his surname; Gonzato. But what it meant was something so personal and true - or so bandmate Fraser tells me. 

Ever heard of the word 'Gonzo'? Nope, me neither. But you WILL actually find it in the dictionary. It means eccentric which most definitely defines Alex and his performing style.



I had such an amazing time last night and could only describe the event to myself in a string of expletives followed by the word "brilliant". 

They played my personal favourite at the start: 'Manshark' (the demo video of which you can find here) along with their debut single: 'Circus Boy' and a load of great songs in between. 

Suffice to say, I was bawled over by their performance and I cannot recommend them more! Everything about these guys suggest that they're onto a winner and I would urge EVERYONE to do their best to make it to one of their gigs. They were brilliant. Absolutely brilliant! 

Please please please take a look below. There's a list of their upcoming tour dates and I would thoroughly recommend you sticking the dates in your diary. These guys need your support and ought to feature on any and all music devices that you and everyone you know own! Please give them your time; hit 'follow' on Spotify, 'download' on Amazon and iTunes and 'play' on YouTube.


Honestly, they won't let you down.


(MANSHARK - FLASHFIRES)

No comments:

Post a Comment