Wednesday 5 March 2014

Stop. Starve. Sexy.

Finding out that I had grown a dress size in the middle of fighting against a bout of compulsive eating definitely was unwelcome news.

Dieting has never appealed to me. I know my strengths, and they one hundred percent do not lie in resisting temptation. I find Lent on of the most difficult challenges and so having to give something up eternally does not appeal to me.

Nor does drinking a load of slimming shakes, counting points and recording them in a book or giving up my favourite foods.

Weight is such a humongous issue these days, particularly when we're growing up. Unlike our parents and those before them, we don;t have to walk or cycle to get where ever we need to go. Our daily entertainment doesn't come from a tennis racket and ball. It's, usually, within the comfort of our hands, living rooms or in front of eyes. And when our mums tell us to pop to the shop to get some milk, she might as well, far easily, make a few clicks and have a Tesco home-delivery man bring it to her instead.

There's little reason to exercise anymore. But there's every reason as before to eat what we like, when we like it; because we're human.


You can't browse anything without being notified of miracle cures for the flat tummy, ways to drop 5 stone in a week and how to get whiter teeth - because it's not just our weight. It's how we look.

But there are more reasons that I will still not diet than just because I physically can't.

I'm healthy. I almost eat my 5 a day. Everyday. I go for low fat over full and, I try my best, not to over-indulge.

But most importantly, eating is something I absolutely love! Food is such a big part of my life; cooking, planning menus, working out how flavours go together, recreating dishes I see in shops, sharing cake and tea in John Lewis. If I stopped eating everything I loved and began rationing, I would be losing around 40% of the enjoyment that I get out of life. I would be 40% less. And that's not a sacrifice I'm willing to take. And, to be honest, if food gives anyone as much happiness as it gives me; I don't think anyone else should feel like they have to sacrifice what they love either.

No comments:

Post a Comment