Monday 10 March 2014

It's on the house!

It was stock take day; one of the worst days for obvious reasons. Pulling tags out and printing labels was not anyone's idea of perfection at 7 o'clock on a Sunday evening. Not was getting up at 5:30am to actually check the stock.

But having spent the night before pulling out tags for checking, I strolled in at 9am aware that I didn't have it that bad. 

For me, it wasn't a bad day. It was quiet but I wasn't feeling the stress everyone else had. I didn't really have anything that could dampen my mood. I had spent the night before at one of my best friend's houses and had the prospect of my dad coming to see me soon on my mind. Things were great; what is it matter to me that I had to do a few extra hours. It was a sacrifice I took lightly. 

But what made it even better was my lunch break. I love surprises. Those unexpected things that pick you up. So after eating lunch out on the church wall, I went inside and found the Hairy Bikers doing a book signing.

This day was looking brilliant!! I was on such a high for some expected reason and the sight of two jolly men at the entrance of the store just made me up! I couldn't believe my luck. I was so tempted to queue up, but I knew I didn't have enough time. So instead I strolled around the store, pretending that I wasn't like one of the other customers sneaking pictures of them from behind bookshelf. 

I watched them. Took them in. I knew that I had a camera stuffed in my bag back at work but I wasn't about to run and get it. Instead, I watched everyone else stand behind and have photos taken, hand over their books and help themselves to a free goody at the front of the desk.


Seeing celebrities is just great. Especially when you realise how human they are. I turned endlesslessy, trying to watch them from other angles and listened to them shouting as fans walked past;

"Don't forget your free sauce."
"I like the chilli one." 
"Yeah the chilli's the best."

I remember one of the first book signings I ever went to. It was such a big thing growing up. Buying books and having them signed.

Book week was my favourite thing EVER! They would set up these metal cases in the school hall filled with books and you'd go with your £1 off voucher and scour the shelves for one that took your fancy - normally the one with the best cover!

It was a miracle that I never really attached with actual people. I saw Tracy Beaker as a real person and when I stood in front of Jacqueline Wilson, I didn't quite understand that she was a figment of this lady's head. I knew that Tracy Beaker was made up, but seeing Jacqueline Wilson and confronting reality didn't make her seem any more fictitious.

So it wasn't a bad day at all seeing the culmination of two of my favourite things; food and books. Two TVs chefs in a bookshop - PEEEEERRRFECT!!

No comments:

Post a Comment