Tuesday 31 December 2013

The Gathering

I've always been a fan of the New Year only recently the reason has become more solidified.

When I was a kid, it was because we could stay up late. Because people would come round. Because we would go out to London. Because it was the final concluding BANG to Christmas. 

But now it means more. A global gathering of people; races, religions, families irrespective. Something so mundane: the turning of the clocks - something that happens every year. But somehow it manages to captivate. 

I often envy the celebrations in London. It was always so magical and the flash of the media was just so special. 

But this year, watching them from the Burj Khalifa; half a mile of explosives and fireworks on the ground, was awe-inspiring. The cheers that radiate trough the sky. The patriarchy of course. 

It was a record-breaking attempt this year with a 6 minute spectacle using over 500,000 fireworks. 


As I sat, watching the vibrant colours fill the sky, so much was going through my mind. 2014 - I couldn't believe it. 2013 a it went so fast. But most of all I was making myself a pact. 

As soon was possible, I said, I'd travel the main cities of the world to watch the fireworks there. I've done London. Now Dubai - 3 times in a row. Now to plan the rest of the trip: Singapore, Germany, Australia ....

No comments:

Post a Comment