Saturday 21 December 2013

Thirst for "The Hunger Games"

I was told that I had to read them!! 

"They're AMAZING!" They said. 

But, if I'm honest, when I finished the first in the trilogy of The hunger games, I wasn't overly impressed. 

The writings of Suzanne Collins and the subsequent films have sparked worldwide adoration and a deeply entrenched admiration of leading actress Jennifer Lawrence and an unshakeable crush on Josh Hutcherson.

I don't doubt the concept of the book. In fact, the dystopian genre was the genre that first enthused me to write. I loved the idea of writing about a place that didn't exist and didn't have to make sense. I always found, once I picked up my pen and settled myself, that writing as much as reading was a manner of escapism. I was fascinated about the mind's ability to leave this world; and I still am. How little me can live in a dualism and even completely create something so abstract as a new world. 

In this way, The hunger games struck a chord with me. The idea of living in Panem spurred me simply to read page to page. But what I loved most was the concept of the games. 

Everyone likes a book that you can't end yourself; especially me, which is why I find Jodi Picoult's book so intriguing. The thought that goes into her writing and the deep inter-woven and complex relations make her stories simply unforgettable! It was these complex relations that I admired in The hunger games. I was constantly figuring out who I would kill, if anyone. I knew I would sacrifice myself and wondered if Katniss would do the same. I certainly would not have made alliances with ANYONE. The choice between Peter, who Katniss and even I, fell in love with and a mother and sister so desperately dependent on you was what kept me reading. 

But beneath all the deep and intricate thoughts, the beauty of the possible complexity and intermingled relationships, the execution of the book left me, unfortunately, less than impressed. Understandably, as it is aimed at you get readers than my 18 year old self, the book was engaging with the constant cliff-hangers and engaging narrative. 

I was disappointed by the ending on more than one account. The plot line that detailed Peter and Katniss being the last two in the arena, to the change in rules and then their declaration of  being the winners must have spanned about 3 unfulfilling pages. I neither felt as though Katniss' crime was horrendous nor merited a punishment which is written into the second in the series; "Catching Fire". 

It was almost as though Suzanne Collins seems to rush to publication. The ending (with all unintended rudeness and dismissal on my behalf) seemed to scream, quite possibly like Katniss Everdeen; "I'm done! TAKE ME HOME!!" 

But I know I can't really talk - although I've done very well. Writing is not only about being original and being unique but about writing what sells. No one will publish your novel unless it can be sold and make profit. So I must credit Suzanne Collins because certainly it seems that this type of novel is just what the public ordered! 

No comments:

Post a Comment