Tuesday 20 August 2013

Getting into Uni

This Thursday filled with a sickly mix of dread and excitement, I took the dive with my mum to school to collect my results. 
It's the worst feeling waiting for that envelope. Having to collect it from a teacher who may or may not already know your results. That look; the face concealing a smile that is either wry or pleased. You can never tell. 
I signed an then I got it. DAMN! Not quite what I needed! I was in despair - 2 grades lower than I needed. 
I couldn't help but curse myself; if only I wasn't so conceited! Why did I think I was getting into Uni? That was stupid and now I've jinxed myself! 

I sat with my mum. The results weren't tragic. I knew full well. But I'd applied to Universities that were a little out of my league. I should have been sure of disappointment. 

Now What? I thought.

The last thing I needed was a newspaper journalist, pad in hand asking me how I'd done and what university I was going to. 

'Well I don't think I'll get in now,' I replied. 
'Inshallah! (God willing)'She soothed. 'Inshallah'.

I could have used her optimism. 
We went home and began trawling through clearing vacancies. The track website was down so I was waiting for it to open, second after second becoming awash with grief and uncertainty. 

It opened after a while. I saw the screen. Purple and white filling the window;

Your place at your chosen university has been confirmed on the course BA (Hons) English and Spanish. 

I was ecstatic! 
I've been accepted! When I didn't even get the grades!!!

I never thought it would be happening! My hopes had been dashed and so quickly restored! I was going!! What were the chances? 

So the news has now sunk in and I've been preparing and out shopping I got a little surprise. My nan bought me celebratory chocolate - my gift! I couldn't be happier. Grades and university, a new start and chocolate!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment