Wednesday 10 September 2014

Why I'm one of the luckiest people in the world


At the moment I can't get over how lucky I have been and how grateful I am. But I guess you should never 'get over' feeling grateful or lucky, so maybe that's not the right word. But there are so many aspects in my life that have just made me think: this doesn't need to get any better.

I guess it's tempting the devil to say that nothing could go wrong but I feel so so so lucky. 

Why? 

10 reasons why I'm the luckiest person in the world: 

1) I spend nearly all day everyday with my best friends 
It's true that for most of the year my family love 3,000 miles away, and I'm not saying its easy, but they could very well live in Canada or Australia. Separation makes bonds stronger and I have definitely noticed that this year at uni. Judging by the amount I cry at the airport and upon entering the UK, they mean a great deal to me. 

I am so lucky today an I have been so lucky over the past couple of months to have been with them for ages. My mum, dad and brothers are people that I can't live without and I cherish every moment that I can talk to them, laugh with them, and yes, sometimes argue with them. 

2) I have found myself 
After being independent for a while, I realised how crucial it is to find your voice, comply with it and use it at very opportunity. I am so happy to have a voice that I reckon with and my blog has given me that opportunity.

3) I'm currently in Dubai 
I've been in Dubai for a little while now and I am so so lucky to be here. At every holiday opportunity I have been able to come over and I'm very very lucky to have that option open to me. It spices up the holidays, gives me something to look forward to and is an incredibly welcome change. 

Equally I'm am very fortunate to study in the UK and reap the fruits of the brilliant English weather. 

4) I'm surrounded by people who care for my welfare and who enjoy being around me 
A lot of people are very happy (or seem very happy at least) to help me out when I need, provide ears to listen and give a little chat.

5) I don't fear for my life 
It's weird because when I wrote this one, I thought: why would I ever fear for my life. Then I realised that waking up in safety every morning puts me in a minority of people. 

There are people who go to bed fearing for their lives and wake up facing an even harsher reality. People in war-torn countries, people subjected to abuse, people in violent situations, people who are ill.

I am so lucky because I have no idea what it is to feel these things. That doesn't mean that I never will feel pain but in this moment, I'm so thankful. 

6)  I have food and water 
Similarly, it is so incredibly important to realise that things could be so different. I'm so fortunate to have been born into a world where the staples of life are so freely available. 

7) I am un-constrained 
My life really is down to me and I am so lucky that it is this way. Being indecisive, sometimes this means that I make rash or poor decisions but at the end of the day they are my decisions. My life isn't governed by the fact that I have to work to provide for my family. I don't have to join the army straight out of school. I am lucky because the only constraints that I have in life are those that I put on myself. 

8) There is stability and I have the means to provide for it 
Last year I was panicking about payments for our house. I didn't know who I was going to live with, where and how I was going to afford it since I was jobless. I was then so blessed to be able to get a job and pick up a few others too. 

Without my parents lifting me through the  hoops this year in terms of financing accommodation, I am SO aware of how lucky I have been to be able to pay my way through the year. 

9) I'm set up to have one of the best years (yet again) 
And on the subject of uni, this year, though it will be tougher, I hope to be as wonderful as last year. 

If I had told this to myself last September, I would have laughed. But I really really enjoy uni and all the experiences and people that come with it. I am lucky that I love my course and have the motivation to get through it. I am so thankful for the girls that I'm living with this year and for all the other people in between. 

10) I've made it this far 

No comments:

Post a Comment