Thursday 18 September 2014

3 Rocky Road Recipes that You HAVE to Try!

At the moment, I've been dedicating Thursday evenings to catching up on the Great British Bake Off. I love it! And every afternoon, after watching, I spend my time focusing my attention on recipe books trying to find something that I can bake without risk of failure.

Looking for something today, I poured through various recipes from a couple of my favourite baking websites (www.topwithcinnamon.com and www.johnwhaite.com) but eventually settled upon a 'classic' of ours: the rocky road.

Traditionally rocky road, the way we make it, consists of predominantly dark chocolate with little milk chocolate blend, pink and white marshmallows and rich tea biscuits.

But today, I looked for something else that was still relatively safe and came up with the following: Peanut Butter Rocky Road with Gingernuts and Cranberries. 


For me, I think it looks pretty well decorated and I'm very happy with the result!

Here's how I managed it and a couple of alternatives that you can try:

Peanut Butter Rocky Road with Gingernuts and Cranberries
Makes 16 squares

1) In a glass bowl set over a pan of simmering water, melt 125g soft butter with 200g Hershey's Peanut Butter Chocolate Chips, 100g plain chocolate chips and 3 tbsp of (wild) honey. Continually stir until everything is melted and then remove the bowl from the heat

2) Crush 175g gingernut biscuits into rough chunks and mix into the chocolate mixture 

3) Now stir in 3 large handfuls of cranberries until all combined

4) Now line a loaf tin with clingfilm or baking parchment and spoon in the chocolate mixture

5) Level with the back of a spoon and then crush 5 gingernut biscuits into crumbs and sprinkle on top

6) Chill for at least 2 hours and cut into squares. Store in the fridge until you wish to consume




My alternatives for this recipe are; 

Rich Tea, Date and Walnut Rocky Road
For this one, just use dark chocolate. Swap the quantity of honey for the same of golden syrup. After point number 1, roughly crush 150g rich tea biscuits. Add to this, 2 large handfuls of chopped dates and 100g of chopped walnuts.

*

Pistachio and Apricot Rocky Road
As with above, use dark chocolate. Swap honey for the same quantity of golden syrup and complete step number 1 of the original recipe. For this version, roughly chop 20 dried apricots and stir into the chocolate with 150g whole pistachios. 

No comments:

Post a Comment