Thursday 21 August 2014

The Good Samaritan

So a couple of weeks ago, I wrote a post where I talked about 3 petitions that I believed needed your help. Today I have just one.

I got an email from Amnesty International yesterday about the trail of a Japanese man named Hakamada. He is the world's longest prisoner serving a death sentence, which means that for the past 46 years he has lived with the fear of being killed at any given moment.

When I read that, I was astounded. If the death penalty isn't punishment enough, waiting with bated breath for you imminent death is cruel beyond belief!

I often like to imagine certain situations. I like to imagine how other people live and some of the experiences that they have gone through that I am fortunate enough not to experience, or hope never to experience. But in this case, I just can't imagine.

Though I'm slowly lessening the fear I have of death, the thought is still quite scary and I can't think on it for long times. I have no idea what it would be like to have that on your mind constantly for over half of my life!!

Not only is Hakamada's case tragic because, I believe, that the death penalty is hugely wrong, it is all the more disappointing to learn that Hakamada has not had a proper trial - a trail that could prove he is innocent.

For the moment, Hakamada is safe but he still needs help to prevent a re-trial that could have him wrongly convicted.

If you understand how life changing your say could be and want to help, here is the link to Amnesty's petition. Please, please, please Save Hakamada


No comments:

Post a Comment