Tuesday 12 August 2014

Life Lessons From Mrs Doubtfire

I guess everyone was just looking for a good bit of news in between the wars that are ripping people, families and countries apart. But, this wasn't it.

Mrs Doubtfire was such a massive part of my childhood and is still a massive part of my life now. It is one of my favourite films ever, and so when I heard that Robin Williams had died this morning, it felt like a piece of my life had shattered.

Without Mrs Doubtfire I wouldn't have half of my vocabulary. In fact, we'd just spent our summer holiday a couple of weeks ago quoting the film in various places.

I actually remember watching 'Mrs Doubtfire' for the first time. We were in a hotel in France eating pizza. It was also the first time we'd ordered room service. 

I was about 8 - the age I was picking famous role models and beginning to understand films. 

Nothing compared to Mrs Doubtfire, in my mind, for a very long time. And that film gave me my representation of Robin Williams for every subsequent film that I saw him in. That's who I believed he really was. He wasn't an actor. He was Mrs Doubtfire.


I'm finding it really hard to say what I mean. Usually that's because I've been over-blogging. Or I'm too tired. But this time I think it's just because I'm at a loss. 

So I've decided to create a list of lessons that I've learnt from Robin Williams using my favourite quotes from my favourite film of them all. 

Life Lessons from Mrs Doubtfire

1) Don't let anyone destroy who you are


2) Make sure no one gets in the way of your family


3) In every tricky situation, there is always a solution


4) Opportunities that change your life, come at the strangest of times

I spent much of my time trekking the Indian Himalaya singing: "James Brontasaurus! I eat wood, danah, danah, danah, dun ..."

5) Stop at nothing to get what you need


6) You only get once chance at life, make sure you have a good time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment