Thursday 31 July 2014

So Good!

How many times have you said that?

"AAAHHH! Sooooo Gooood!"

I say it all the time. If not aloud, in my head. It's the phrase that sums up a good meal, a drink when I'm thirsty, a chair when my feet are killing me. But, when I hear that phrase, doing something morally good and beneficial to all doesn't spring to mind.

We all have those down days. For whatever reason they creep up on us. We can be feeling fine one minute and the next seriously doubting our purpose in life and how we are meant to go on.

Bizarrely, I get this sensation more in Dubai than I do anywhere else. It's strange because that is where my family are and it's nothing to do with them but living in the sand pit can sometimes make you feel trapped. In 40 degree heat, there is no way that I'm going out and doing anything! 

But maybe that's just my problem. Perhaps I ought to be doing something!

Whatever the answer, I can't deny that keeping busy is the key to keeping my mind healthy - so long as I don't continually overwork. It makes those lazy days and moments when you can just relax with a film even more special.

I first noticed this just after summer started at Uni. Before, I had quite an aversion to filling up my days for fear of not having my 'me-time'. I craved the weekends where I could do nothing and I would work so so hard throughout the week so I would have absolutely nothing to do on Saturday or Sunday. But once I had less and less work, I began to get bored. I didn't know what to fill my days with. And when work stopped completely, at first it was a relief, and later seemed like an abyss where I could fall into nothingness forever.

I didn't know what to do with myself.

That was part of the reason why I wrote my '50 Things To Do This Summer' so I didn't feel like a failure whilst I had more time to think about being exactly that. I got myself a little 2 day placement at uni, plowed into writing things for my blog and tried my hardest to fill my days up to the top.

That makes me feel so much better!

But sometimes, there is nothing better than doing something for somebody else to make you feel better. It's such a cliche but I'll bet my bottom dirham (it sounded better than pound) that it's a good one! :D

So I've decided to list my favourite campaigns that I've come across this week:

  1. Israel-Palestine Conflict
    http://www.amnesty.org.uk/issues/Israel-and-Palestine
The big thing this week has been the developments in the Israel-Palestine conflict and the amount of people, mainly children, killed in it. The Amnesty International UK campaign urges the government to stop sending ammunition to people fighting in the area. 
  This is a long and complicated war on so many levels but targeting it from so many different levels should, with every pray and hope and donation, bring an end to the violence and a civil resolution. For this reason, the SaveTheChildren campaign to stop children being harmed is also something that you must fill out - and is listed below


*

    2.  Israel-Palestine Conflict (continued)
         
http://www.savethechildren.org.uk/stop-killing-children-gaza-israel

SaveTheChildren campaign.


*

    3.  WaterAid - clean water by 2030
         http://www.wateraid.org/uk/get-involved/campaigns (and click on 'Everyone Everywhere 2030')

I love this petition because it depends on the power of belief and, unfortunately, it doesn't have nearly enough signatures. When you click the link, WaterAid congratulates you for believing that everyone, everywhere can have clean water by 2030. Is it so unrealistic? I think that if you believe in something hard enough, anything can be achieved. But, even if you don't agree, wouldn't getting the UN to discuss clean water for everyone as a high priority make a difference?

WaterAid have already helped 19.2 million people access clean and safe sources of water and there is no reason why that number shouldn't increase! 

*

So, this was a little different post for me but I've come to realise that there are quite a number of you who do come and read my blog on a regular basis and I feel that if we can do something good together, then that's worth my while to write and having you read! Thank you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment