Thursday 15 May 2014

Among the fashionistas!!

Despite appearances, it's been pretty hard for me to get the constant readership that I'd hoped to bring with my blog. Being a writer in a virtual world overrun with fashion bloggers doesn't come easy!

I've been through countless sites searching for ways to improve on numbers but that's not to say that numbers are everything. I absolutely love what I do and, more than anything, what I write is a way of giving all my thoughts a purpose. I don't think someone with this many thoughts should leave them bundled up in her head.

I have a box under my bed which I got as a gift before uni and inside I store all these thoughts as well as tickets from things that I've done and places that I've been. Everytime I'm angry or super super passionate about something - which happens more often - and I'm full to bursting with it, I whack out my typewriter. It's, perhaps, one of the best things I've ever put my money towards and it was £10 in a charity shop! I absolutely love it and (touch wood) so far it has cost me absolutely NOTHING to run. All the spools of tape were included and are still in working order!

So out the typewriter comes, in a piece of A4 goes and I get underway bashing out the thoughts on the tip of every pore in my body. And then, with the same methodology every time, I fold it and put it in this box.

But my thoughts are not only there. They're everywhere. On post-it notes around my room. On mind-maps above my bed. In books in my drawer. In journals. In margins at the sides of novels. Everywhere! And also, they're in every post that I write.

What aren't in my blog posts though is anything of use. Well, that is ... there's no tips on how to do your hair. How I wear my make-up and my favourite health-store buys. You won't find anything like that here (you'll know as a reader!) It's just a collection of jumbled thought.

But I was thinking ... what if I was "one among the fashionistas" so to speak? What if, this was the post where I told you all of those hair and make-up queries that I'm sure you're dying to know? Well, lucky for you ---- IT'S TIIIIIIME!!


OOTD:
Every classic fashion blog starts with this: OOTD (Outfit Of The Day - I had to work this one out for myself) or ODJ (Outfit Du Jour)


So this is probably the extent of it. This is what I wore today - a grey jumper, highwaisted black and gold shorts and grey plimsolls. Why? Because the sun was momentarily shining and I had to wear something before I started my essays this morning.

I've come to learn that every good fashionista also needs a lap dog who will follow them around and make sure the camera angle is perfect and the lighting is spot on. They have proper SLR cameras with a million buttons which do countless. For this photo I had my laptop - good ol' "You-cam".

The dress sense I have kind of happens by mistake. I'm fairly safe with what I wear and favour comfort over appearance. I could never understand girls at school who didn't wear tights, white knee high shocks or a jumper, blazer and rain mac like me!



HAIR:
Nearly every fashion blogger can tell you exactly how they do their hair in the morning. I've seen it so many times. They do tutorials. They, simply, know how to do their hair.

Ask me how I do my hair and I will tell you that I have absolutely no idea. My hair today came out near enough exactly how I wanted it a couple of days ago but I have no idea why. It changes from day to day.

Every other day I wash my hair - that never changes. But the shampoo and conditioner I use is never the same. I'm currently on some coconut shampoo from ASDA and a 40p mega bottle of conditioner from Sainsbury's that had lasted me nearly 4 months. They're not the best quality hence why I'll walk out of the shower with the same amount of knots in my hair as when I walked in.

Then to the brushing. Pretty self-explanatory. It hurts but with a leeway of about 5 minutes each time, all the knots come out.

Sometimes I grease the ends with split end seal. Sometime I don't.

Sometimes I put in curling mousse. Sometimes I don't.

Sometimes I use a diffuser on my hair and sometimes just the plain old hairdryer.

And the length of time I spend drying my hair depends on whether I'm day-dreaming and enjoying being hung upside down from the waist.

My hair just happens. On it's own and I have very little control. So ask me to show you how to do your hair like mine (if you really wanted to know) and I'd reply: no, I can't.



What next? Of course ...
MAKE-UP:
I'm all for rocking what God and your mumma gave you! I hardly ever wear make-up and just use a splash on a night out - a bit of lippy and mascara - but even then I won't look at myself for too long in the mirror. It never feels like me. My lips were never meant to be that red and all night I have to remind myself not to rub my eyes because it'll smudge.

Make-up's not for me. I couldn't deal with seeing 2 versions of myself every day. 

Everyday, it's just me.

HEALTH-STORE BUYS:
I barely even know what a health-store is! I've never been, but if I had to fill this category my favourite shop, it would probably have to be ASDA. I love how cheap everything is and that even responsibly produced stuff will save you a few pennies! 24p soup all the way!


So how was that for you?
*

I'm not a fashion blogger, and with what I've written above, I have no hope if that's the path I decide to go down. 

When I was younger I had about a thousand crisis' trying to figure out who I was and what I was good at. That was only because I felt as though I had to fit a mode. That was only because what I thought the world needed was one more of what it already had in abundance. 

If I'd have 'obeyed' the laws of blogging and tried to mould myself on the success of fashion blogger's like Style By Kieren or Girl About Dubai or Zoella, I might just have fallen short of the mark. Well, let's face it - I would have. 

Often success only comes from being the person that you are. From throwing away conformity and not being downhearted when you think you're not as good as someone else because you're not achieving as much as they are. 

This is the constant struggle of my life but it's so important that I'm learning from it. I'm not a fashion blogger. I don't have a million readers. But I have me. And though all those people I mentioned just above are INCREDIBLY talented, I'm just talented in a different ways. 

Sometimes life is about starting with a small crack in the rock and chipping away until you've made yourself a home. That's all :D  


No comments:

Post a Comment