Wednesday 16 October 2013

Oh...Rainy Days

Rain, rather than symbolising depression and having striking connections with it's synonyms; woe, melancholy and gloom, now signifies healthiness - for me at least. The past 2 years in Dubai have left much want of change and, though I previously despised the rain like the devil, I am comforted by its forced coziness.

My favourite sensation - and; yes, I do have one - is the tingling of a body warming up. Feet frozen from ice feeling the blood rush. A nose, just about ready to drop off, restored to full colour. Hands that, at first, couldn't feel the radiator, now being burned by the warmth.

If 80% of the people of England had their wish, it would rain no more and the earth would be baked by sun rays. And what would ensue would be toilet brush trees, scraggy for want of leaves. Brown rugs of grass targeted by youths for their potential as fire starters. And girls walking the streets in all but a bikini. Green wouldn't feature in our colour range.

Imagine an England without green. Imagine the country without the single colour that epitomises it besides grey. Where would the appeal lie?

For most tourists, if they're not besotted with London, they are with the countryside.

I find England works rather well. Throughout the year, the country is nourished by rain and it's beauty is saved for those glorious summer afternoons where we can appreciate it all.

So, I no longer hold a grinding antagonism for rain. You can pray for the sun, but that won't stop the rain.

2 comments:

  1. I love how you write! Keep going because I'm reading! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww that's so lovely Kieran!! SOO sweet!! Thank you :D xxx

      Delete